Open Enrollment started November 1st and will last until January 31st, and only affects those that are required to purchase their own insurance.
Here is what you can expect…
- If you need a policy with a 1/1/17 effective date, you must enroll by December 15th. This includes anyone with a plan with Aetna/Coventry, Harken Health, United Healthcare, and Land of Lincoln.
- The remaining carriers offering plans are Blue Cross Blue Shield, Health Alliance, Ambetter, and Cigna. Carriers and plan options vary by county.
- If you are happy with your plan it will automatically renew. I will warn that rates have increased and it may be worth it to review your options. Please Note: Subsidies (assistance provided by the government) have also increased in an attempt to offset the premium difference.
- Blue Cross has announced that doctors in the NorthShore University Health System NorthShore Medical Group and Northwestern Medicine are accepting the Blue Cross Blue Precision HMO plan. Call 847.570.4202 to find out if your Northshore doctor accepts the Blue Precision HMO and 312.926.8400 to find out if your Northwestern doctor accepts the Blue Precision HMO.
- Group insurance is competitive again. This may be an option to consider for small employers. The larger PPO network is still available for group insurance.
- Out of Pocket Maximums have increased from $6850 to $7150 (the out of pocket max varies per plan. The maximum allowed on ANY plan is $7150).
- Blue Cross Blue Shield has introduced a new plan with a smaller network to help offset the increase to premiums.
- As a reminder, assistance is provided by the government to those who qualify. The assistance is based on household size (number of people reported on your tax return) and the household’s adjusted gross income for 2017. Your adjusted gross income is located on line 37 of your 1040. If you are self-employed, this is the number AFTER your write-offs.
Please contact me at 708.444.0050 or [email protected] to schedule a time to review your plan options.